Pages

Wednesday 16 October 2013

The Sword Called Divorce (Episode 5)


His first instinct was to pretend he didn’t see her. He was tempted to change his mind about the suya and drive away. He already had enough trouble in his life and he didn’t need more.

His appetite for suya won over common sense and he found himself exiting the car and making his way to the suya stand. He walked without looking right or left, hoping that Izie would not look up and see him.
He was lucky. He bought the suya and just as he paid for it and was about to leave, he heard her call:
“Sir! Sir!”
Her voice was too loud to  ignore and he knew it was no use. He’d been caught.
He turned slowly with a fake smile on his face. She was still sitting on the bench close to the suya stand, only this time her face was illuminated by the light.

“Oh, Izie. I didn’t see you.” He lied, smiling thinly.
“I’m sorry sir. I know I’m the last person you want to see…” she began.
“Wait a minute.” Joe strolled towards her, not wanting to raise his voice. “Were you expecting me to come here? You were waiting for me?”
“No, no. I wasn’t. I just…I was passing by…I…” Without warning she burst into tears.
Joe stood looking at her; unsure what to do. He’d learned the hard way what comforting a crying woman could do. When he saw that she was still sobbing and he couldn’t keep standing there; he decided to sit.
Whatever compassion he had for her had melted the day he’d been summoned to the church office by their resident pastor, Pastor Briggs.
He’d walked into the office to see Izie sitting quietly in a corner, looking forlorn. By then, it had been a month since they had their affair and no one knew about it…or so he thought.
A little fear had leapt up in his heart when he saw Izie with Pastor. What had she done?

“Brother  Joe.” Pastor had begun in a grave voice.
“Yes sir.”
“You know the church appreciates the contributions you and your wife have made here…we are very happy to have people like you giving to the work of God.”
“Yes Pastor. It’s a pleasure. We love giving to God’s work. But you didn’t call me here to  talk about our donations to the church…or did you?”
Pastor Briggs cleared his throat. “You know Sis. Izie?”
Joe barely glanced at her. There was no need to stare his sin in the face. “Yes. She’s my wife’s convert.”
“Only that, Bro. Joe?” Pastor Briggs looked like he’d swallowed something bitter.
“I’m not sure what you’re referring to, Pastor.”
“Izie, please tell him what you told me.”
She sniffled. “Pastor, it’s not his fault, It’s the devil’s handwork.”
“Don’t give the devil a crime he didn’t commit, Izie. Tell him what you told me. Simple,”
“We… we…committed sin together.” She was obviously finding it difficult to speak.
Joe wished at that point, that the ground could pen up and swallow him. She’d reported to Pastor?! What kind of moron was this girl?!
Pastor Briggs sighed and turned Joe. “I think we understand what Sister Izie is trying to say but I’d like to hear your side of the story. I called you here because I respect you as a member of this church so if you have anything to say regarding what Izie has said then please let me know.”
Joe exhaled. “There’s no point denying it Pastor. It was a mistake that happened once. It never happened again. I’ve asked God to forgive me.”
“And your wife? Does she know about it?”
Joe’s eyes narrowed. “I think it’s best to let sleeping dogs lie. I have learned my lesson and I’m sure Izie has learned hers too.”
` “Well Bro. Joe, I do not doubt that you’ve settled with God. But there’s a need to confess to the party who you betrayed. The woman you made a vow to- your wife. She needs to know and until then, you will not be completely free of this.”
“Are you saying God has not forgiven me, Pastor?” Joe asked, trying to tamp down his rising temper.
“That’s between you and God. The question is;  are you sorry you did it or sorry you got caught?” Pastor Briggs wasn’t mincing words.
“Point of correction Pastor. I didn’t get caught. She…” He hesitated, not sure what he’d been about to say next. “Did she tell you she seduced me? Or did she come with a plausible sob story?”
“It was the devil’s hand work, sir. I swear. I am now a born again child of God. I couldn’t sleep in peace after it happened. I had to confess to clear my conscience.” Izie was addressing Joe who was looking at her with disdain. “Ma has been so good to me. I didn’t want her to find out.”
“Well, thanks to your conscience, she just did.” Joe said sharply. “Pastor, it seems there’s nothing I can do to change your mind about this. But my question is, won’t telling my wife do more harm than good?”
“Not if we tell her together. If we call her here and tell her. It won’t be easy but I’m sure she’d appreciate it more than being kept in the dark about it.”
Joe  shook his head. “Then you don’t know Nike. Please Pastor. Let me make this right. I will go back and re-confess to God. Beg for his forgiveness. But please, there’s no need to hurt Nike with my stupidity.”
Yes  Pastor. He’s right. Please I didn’t come here intending to break a home. I don’t  want Ma to be angry with me…or sir.” Izie added.
Pastor had insisted the right thing be done. What was the right thing in this case?

It was when the streetlight went off abruptly that Joe was jerked out of his reverie. He looked around; the next streetlight was up ahead.
Immediately he realised that Izie had her head resting on his shoulder. How it had gotten there, he had no idea. He pulled away sharply like he’d been stung.
“I have to go Izie. Sorry about your troubles.” He mumbled.
“Do I scare you?” She asked.
It wasn’t the question that caught Joe off  guard…it was the voice that spoke. It was no longer Izie’s. At least it didn’t sound like her.
“What did you say, Izie?” he asked, just to be sure he heard right.
“You heard me. Are you afraid of me?” Now, she threw her head back and looked up.
There was something different about her face. Something sinister and evil.
Then it struck him. It was her eyes. They were literally glowing in the darkness. They’d taken up a golden hue.
This wasn’t the Izie he knew, not the woman he’d been talking to a few minutes ago.
“Izie?” he called again, bewildered. It seemed the rest of the world around them had faded away. The suya man, his stand and his customers seemed in a world different from theirs.
“Why do you keep calling me that? You know I’m not Izie.” The golden-eyed woman said.
“You’re crazy. You’re Izie. What is wrong with you?” He was panicking now, unable to compute what he was seeing. How could he be looking at a woman who was and wasn’t Izie?

(To be continued…)

2 comments:

  1. ok now i am hooked....nice twist!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I really like this installment. I only wish it flowed perfectly. I don't see the dialogues spaced appropriately, so I got slightly confused at some points as to which scene I was, and who was speaking. Lovely twist at the end. Let's see what happens.

    ReplyDelete