Pages

Friday 25 October 2013

The Sword Called Divorce (Episode 9)

Forgiveness at first, seems like one of the hardest things any human being could ever be asked to do. But we discover that when we open just a tiny window of our hearts and try to forgive, it becomes a lot easier and a hell of a burden is taken off our shoulders.
That’s exactly what happened with Marie. There seemed to be a pain lodged in her heart as Sister Izie  told her story.
But in that moment when she asked “So what happens now?” Marie knew what she had to do. She could see the remorse written plainly in Sister Izie’s eyes and she didn’t stop to think whether she was just being naïve.

“I hate what you’ve done to our family. But I hate what mummy is doing more. It’s unforgiveness that’s tearing us apart. But…I forgive you Sister Izie. You’re still the nice lady I really liked. You made a mistake. We all do sometimes.”
It was the most grown up speech Marie had ever made and a defining moment of her life. Little did she know that this lesson was one she’d carry with her for the rest of her life. Little did she know how much these words meant to the woman before her.
Sister Izie could hold herself no longer; she pulled Marie to her and enfolded her in a bear hug and suddenly a  feeling of elation swooped Marie into the third heavens and she almost immediately forgot that she’d hated this woman some minutes ago.

“Oh my…look at the time. Sweetie,  it’s almost ten.” Sister Izie exclaimed  as they seperated.
They’d both had no idea that time had moved so swiftly.
“Marie, you have to go home! Jesus! Mummy would be worried.” Sister Izie said. “And today’s your birthday!”
Marie glanced at her. “You remembered.”
“How could I forget? I  was just  looking for a right time to say it. Happy Birthday darling.”
“I did something stupid today. I left home since morning. I was so angry at them. Pretending that everything is okay when it’s not.” Marie said.
“Marie, are you telling me you’ve been away from home since morning?”
“Yes. I was at my friend’s house.”
“Ah…I have to call Mummy now. Let her know where you are so she’ll come and get you.” Izie looked around for her phone.
“Sister Izie, please no. I’m begging you. I don’t want to go back there today. The house is no longer as it used to be. Please…this is the worst birthday I’ve ever had.” She was sobbing again and Izie felt guilty.
“Oya come here. I understand. But don’t you want to call them and let them know you’re here?”
“No. I want them to worry.” It sounded selfish but even as she said it, a plan began to form in her mind.
“Sister Izie. I need a favour please. Would you help me?” She asked with a little tremor in her voice.
“Depends on what it is, sweetheart.”
“It’s a plan I have. A way to make my mum and dad need each other again. Will you help?”
Izie didn’t need more persuading but as she listened to the plan she began to wonder if it will be a good idea.
“It could backfire.” She reasoned. “Your mother could hate me forever.”
“We won’t give her room for that. Mummy loves me, no matter what she does. I think I can take solace in that.” Marie said confidently. “I can’t live in a broken home. Bella can’t grow up knowing mummy and daddy are living apart. It’s not a good thing.”
“Marie…I don’t know. The intent behind what you want to do is good but…”
“Do you want my family to break, Sister Izie?” Marie asked bluntly. “I got my period recently. Nobody knew. Only my friend. I couldn’t tell Mummy because we were still fighting. I don’t want to grow up that way. Please, Sister Izie.”
Sister Izie looked away.
“So please just help me.”
And so they agreed.

While the two ladies plotted and planned, Nike and Joe Babalola were worried out of their minds. For the first time in a while they had something in common to worry about. They sat in the living room quietly, neither voicing their fears.
Bella was asleep already.
“Did you call her friend?” Nike asked, the third time that evening.
Joe sighed patiently. “Yes I did. She said she left there like four hours ago.”
“Oh God.” Nike wrung her hands. “It’s ten pm, where could she be? She ought to be home by now.”
If they weren’t sitting at opposite sides of the room, Joe could have found a more suitable way to comfort her instead of spewing words of reassurance which he himself didn’t believe.

“I’m sure she’s okay. Probably still angry and letting off steam.” He said, lamely.
Nike threw him a scathing look. “Yea right. Marie, stay out this late because she’s angry? No way. Something’s happened to her. I can sense it.”
“Calm down. Let’s wait some more.”
“Don’t tell me to calm down! I hate it when you do that!” She was almost hysterical.
“It’s not my fault she walked out.” Joe retorted.
“Oh, so it’s mine? God, you’re so weak. Always looking for whom to blame.”
He didn’t answer. Didn’t see the need to. It would only open up old wounds.
“Now you’re not talking?!” She was obviously in the mood to vent. “You’re always looking for someone to blame when you mess up. If it’s not the devil, it’s me!”
“Nike, please not now. Bella is sleeping.” He said, trying to maintain his calm.
“Don’t I know what’s good for my daughter? Don’t tell me what to do! I’m sick and tired of you telling me what to do! You always know what’s best for the girls, abi? Where were you when I was carrying them for nine months? How do I know you weren’t off satisfying your libido with other women?!”
She was on a roll now, there was no stopping her.
And suddenly Joe felt the intense urge to slap her. Anything to make her shut up and forgive him. But he knew he wouldn’t do it. He couldn’t. He simply wasn’t that kind of man.
And so he sat there and let her talk, thinking how crazy it was that in her anger; she still looked terribly attractive to him. She was still dressed in the clothes she’d worn to church, the upper part of her shirt unbuttoned, exposing a slice of her cleavage and he found his eyes straying to that place every once in a while.
“You have nothing to say!!” She glared at him, asking for a fight.
“What do you want me to say, Nike? We both know what this is about. It’s no longer about our missing daughter.”
“If you had just remained faithful, all this wouldn’t be happening! There’d be no need for a divorce and our daughters will not be suffering so much. It is your fault! I hate you!”
And with that, the tears came- in barrages.
Joe was a loss on what to do. He rarely saw her lose her cool, it was one thing he’d always liked about her; the way she composed herself at all times no matter the pressure she was under. And yet, he’d come to loathe that insane composure later in their marriage…times when he needed her to show emotion, she was rigid and tough.
And now, she’d collapsed in front of him. For once, she’d slipped and let her weakness show and he had absolutely no idea what to do. The sight of her in tears was a new one for him.
He stood up gingerly and joined her on the couch. She’d buried her face in her hands and her shoulders shook as she cried.

Because he didn’t know what to say, he just put his arms around her and was surprised when she crumpled against him.
He didn’t know how long they stayed like that, but it felt so good to have her in his arms again after such a long time, even though it wasn’t in the best of circumstances.
And then something happened. He didn’t know it until she raised her head and looked at him. Through the tears, he could see a wry smile on her face.
“What’s wrong?” He asked, bewildered.
“Men will always be men.” She said, looking at him.
His eyes followed hers, when he saw what she was looking at; he went blue with embarrassment.
Down there, little Johnny had decided to rear its head. He had a full blown erection.

(To be continued…)

5 comments:

  1. To err is human, to forgive is divine...
    Nice
    Way to go Marie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The power of forgiveness amazes me. Thank you Tope for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm, I love the way you depicted Nike, that is exactly how a lot of women are; one minute they are asking for a fight and the next they are wondering why you are not talking, Lol.
    Great work sweetheart, beautiful piece, you never cease to amaze me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Segz. I'm glad you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I laughed so much while reading this. A sweet mix of the serious and the comedic. So, I found myself laughing as I empathized with them. Yes, you painted the explosion of Nike beautifully.

    ReplyDelete