Pages

Saturday 23 November 2013

"LET ME BE YOUR FOREVER"

“Your beauty is exquisite Aailyah"
Those words instantly transport me to a time when life was truly beautiful.
I smile.
“You’ve always rocked my world.” His voice flits toward me.
I reach out to touch him; to feel him.

“Aailyah…I want to feel you in me. Your love completes me. You’re my all.”

I feel the tears trickling down my face. I don’t know why I’m crying. Perhaps because I’m overwhelmed with joy at seeing him.
I cling to him, welcoming him into my world again. I can feel the bond that holds us.

“Will you ever leave me, Adin?” I whisper.
His only answer is to lower his lips gently to mine; caressing my lips softly with his. His kiss has always meant heaven to me. Those lips that never grow old, they have sent me to destinations unknown in time past. I could pick them out of a crowd of countless lips.
I feel my heart beating loudly against my chest as he kisses me. I don’t want to ever let go.
“Hold me, Adin.” I say, my eyes filling with tears. “Take me with you. I’ll be your forever.”

I watch him smile at me- that golden smile. The one that melted me when I first saw it. His dimples blink shyly at me.

“Mummy?” A voice slices the peace in my heart. “Mummy! What are you doing?!”

I blink, looking in the direction of the voice. All I see is darkness. My Adin is gone.
“No! Don’t leave me!” I scream, reaching out to grip him.
“Mummy! Calm down.” That pesky voice again.
“Adin please don’t go.” I’m sobbing now.
Hands suddenly cradle me.

“Easy mummy.” She says, her voice sounding suddenly familiar and soothing.
I wonder why she keeps calling me mummy.
“I want Adin.” I say, hoping she will hear me. “I saw him here, just a few minutes ago.”

There’s silence. My sweet-voiced girl doesn’t answer me. Then I hear another voice:
“She’s agitated. Leave her be. I’ll give her her medication.”
“Doctor, is she going to ever know me again?” I hear the sweet-voiced girl now. “She’s always talking about my father; calling his name! But what about me?!”

I open my eyes, trying to see the girl. Again I see darkness.
Nothing. No Adin. No girl. I’m all alone.
“I’m sorry Miss. I wish I could reassure you but I can’t. Your mother suffered a traumatic accident that affected not just her sight, but her memory also.”
“So she will never recover either? Give me some hope, doctor! It’s been two years already! It’s the same story! You think I like seeing my mother in this condition? I hate coming to this place, I come because I love her.  But how can I love someone who doesn’t even know me?”

I can feel her trembling. I sense the pain in her voice and I wish I can comfort her. Adin always knows how to comfort me.
“Adin can comfort you.” I say, reaching out to touch her.
“Oh for God’s sake Mum! Daddy is dead!”
Suddenly the hands are no longer holding me. I miss their comforting touch.
“Lie down Aailyah. It’s time for your medication.” It’s the other voice I hear now.
I sense the needle as it makes contact with my skin. Drowsiness sets in.
I know I’m about to take a trip; perhaps I will meet Adin again. And this time never let him go.

2013 All rights reserved. MimiAdebayo.

3 comments:

  1. Sweet....sad
    It's tough taking care of people who have no idea who we are..
    Loving someone without receiving love back is painful...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Memory loss. Terrible thing. To have an album of memories and connections wiped away like that. Sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sad. All the memories made, wiped in a flash.

    ReplyDelete