Pages

Thursday 5 December 2013

Lookout for Miss Right - 1

The year was 2011 and I had just turned 27. I was doing quite well as a bachelor, with a stable job in a bank. I had my own apartment and could afford three meals a day. One could say I had everything I wanted…except, I hated my job. Banking had never been my dream job, it had been something my family wanted for me and I eventually found myself doing. The pay was fairly good, and sometimes I get bonuses. At least I got to work in an air-conditioned room.
Okay…so I had more than some people could boast of but I felt like there was something missing. Something that made me feel unfulfilled, yet I couldn’t place my finger on it. I lived my life virtually like every young bachelor would - spending Mondays to Fridays working and the weekend chilling with my pals. These friends were what made my world go round; they gave me a break from the real world and my hectic job. Femi, Florence and Oscar were what I would call the world’s best friends; we had known each other since our University days and had remained thick as thieves even after graduation.
We were an odd combination; wild, conservative and crazy. Amongst us, Oscar was the genius. His glasses added to his sense of superiority. He was the nerdy, good-looking guy; the type that thrilled girls with his medical jargon. Did I mention he’s a doctor? And oh yea, he’s engaged to be married to a wonderful lady. Abigail.
Femi, on the other hand is the exact opposite of Oscar. He’s the air head among us with an infectious sanguine disposition. He’s loud mouthed; the spoilt rich kid, the womanizer. His favorite past time apart from women was cars. And he could afford them. His father was wealthy.
“Life is too short to brood.” He liked to say, beer in hand, lady on laps.
Apart from Florence, he was the star of our group. The glue that held us together, the one who made us laugh.
Florence was our girl. She was our mother hen and sister. She brought balance to our friendship whenever Oscar was depressed or Femi was being rash or when I was being stupid.
As for me, what can I say? I lived a very simple life. Well, until something changed all that.

Fridays are the best days of the week for me because it meant freedom from my hellish job and an opportunity to spend time with my friends and well, a wonderful time to laze around.
It was Friday again and I was cleaning my desk for the weekend when my phone rang:
“Guy what’s up?” It was Femi.
“Packing up. Where you dey?”
“Outside. In your parking lot.”
“Abeg chill. On my way.”
I slid my laptop into my bag and rushed out to meet Femi.
He was in his latest purchase; a gold Sienna. I opened the car door and entered the back seat. Florence sat in the front seat beside him.
“Hi guys.” I greeted.
“You closed late today, abi?” Florence asked.
“Nah. I think you closed too early.”
Florence was a teacher in a primary school; something she loved doing.
“Abeg who’s that chick?” It was Femi; he was staring out of his window.
I looked in the direction he was pointing, it was Jennifer, one of my co-workers.
“Forget it man.” I said.
“Why? She’s hot.”
“She’s married.” I retorted.
“Can’t you stay one moment without drooling over a woman?” Florence asked, slapping the back of his head.
“Drive joor. She’s off limits.” I said.
With a sigh, he started the car and drove off. We were not strangers to Femi’s addiction to women; well, maybe addiction is too strong a word but he certainly liked the ladies, and funny thing is, they liked him too. He knew exactly what to say to get them blushing or smiling sheepishly. And maybe the fact that he was quite wealthy added to the lure. Everything about him was flashy, cars, clothes, house and even his haircut.
“Does Oscar have night shift today?” Florence asked.
“No. Afternoon, I think.” I replied.
“Seriously, how does he do it?” Femi asked. “He works all day and yet he managed to catch a fine chick. And they’re getting married! Ah!”
“Maybe when you decide to settle down, you’ll find a woman like Abigail too…besides Oscar fine oo. You don see his abs?” Florence chuckled.
Femi and I looked at her in mock awe. “Oh! You’ve seen Oscar’s abs before? Florence!” I teased.
“Shut up both of you joor.”
“Wait, you dey try tell me say I wowo?” Femi threw her a sharp look.
“Abeg, Flores, no vex Femi before he pack us under trailer.” I said with a laugh.

We were hanging out at Femi’s that weekend. His house was a duplex with more rooms that I could count. I couldn’t imagine living the extravagant life Femi lived. I always wondered what I would do if I had the kind of money Femi had.
I would probably find someone to share it with, not those cheap girls that Femi spent time with…someone special, a decent girl like Oscar had found.
Truth is, lately I’d been thinking about that special someone. I’d been giving my life a lot of thought recently. Perhaps it was time to settle down.

We were reclining in Femi’s second parlor when she walked in.
The woman that will change my life.

Love,friendship, romance.

1 comment: