Pages

Monday 9 December 2013

Lookout For Miss Right - 3


Her number burned a hole in my pocket for the rest of that week. There was something delectably irresistible about her.
Maybe it was her boldness I found alluring. There was nothing secretive about her. Her vivaciousness and bubbling nature had me intrigued.
I couldn’t help wondering why she’d taken an interest in me. I’m not ugly or anything, but I’m not the connoisseur of good looks. At least so I keep telling myself.
I would like to tell myself that I’d charmed her off her feet but that would be deceiving myself, because not once during our conversation had I released my charm.
I didn’t call her.
That weekend I decided to talk about my dilemma with my friends. I was hosting them for the weekend, it was a tradition we’d started four years ago. We took turns hanging out in each other’s place; the closeness and feeling of intimacy it brought was what I cherished about those weekends.

I didn’t wait too long to spill to them the reason for my discomfort that week. Femi, as usual was immediately interested in the woman that had caught my fancy.
“Guy…Chief Odeniran’s daughter?” He gaped. “Abeg, what are you waiting for? Call her or pass her number to me.”
“Because na only you sabi fine thing abi?” I reproached.
“I thought you’re not interested. This one you’re still thinking it over. Let me enjoy while you make up your mind.”
I ignored him.
“When on earth will you stop this playboy life and settle down?” Flores teased. “I just hope one day you won’t catch one unnameable disease.”
“Sweetheart. Have I not told you I intend to die with a woman on top of me?”
“May God not answer that prayer.” Oscar said. “So, back to Jake, what do you want to do now?”
“To call or not to call, that’s the question.” Femi teased.
“The truth is I’m not sure. I’m tired of moving from one chick to another.”
“What are you saying?” Flores asked. “You broke up with your last babe three years ago. So which one be moving from one chic to another?”
“I know. It’s just that I feel like there’s something missing in my life. In clear terms; I’m unhappy. I don’t need some woman who’d drain me of all I have, not a casual relationship. I need the…woman. You know the one who I’d share my success with, my fears, my everything…”
The air in the living room was now sober. It seemed like my words had cast a certain mist in the atmosphere.
“In other words.” I paused for effect. “Oscar, I want what you have. I want that inane happiness I sense in you. I envy what you have with Abigail. No vex ooh, didn’t mean to sound so…ahem…”
“No offence ooh.”
I smiled.
And suddenly the mist broke. Femi began clapping.
“Femi, what’s that?” Flores darted a look at him.
“Omo, see speech. Kai, I wish I fit talk even half of wetin you talk. I always know say na Shakespeare you be.” Femi teased.
“Sharrap joor.” I said. “I’m talking serious matter here.”
“So, bottom line Jake, is that you’re not sure whether to pursue this Sonia girl?” Oscar asked. “You don’t know if you’ll find what you’re looking for in her.”
“Yes, that’s it.”
“And I say, why don’t you give her a try. It’s just a date. Call her up and fix one.” Flores said.  “You don’t have to pledge undying love to her or anything.”
“Or better still. Give me her number and I’ll call her and set up the date between you two.” Femi grinned.
“Speaking of number sef, why didn’t you hook Jake up with your er…step-sister?” It was Flores asking.
Femi shrugged without giving a reply.
“Or is she too good for him?” Flores pressed.  “You didn’t even co-operate sef. Which kain friend you be?”
“True ooh. Femi, why now?” Oscar joined.
“He was not interested. It was her beauty that attracted him.” Femi finally said.
“Oh Lord…look who’s talking. You of all people! Don’t even go there.” Flores was getting worked up.
I listened as they tossed words back and forth. As I listened to Femi defend himself; the realisation dawned on me. I wondered why it hadn’t occurred to me before…
“You’re sleeping with her!” I exclaimed.

Everyone turned to look at me.

I was sure of it now. It all added up. The intimate looks that had passed between them, his reluctance to leave her side…

“What did you say?” Oscar asked.
“He’s sleeping with her. That’s why he didn’t want to introduce me.” I turned to him. “Isn’t that true?”



TO BE CONTINUED…

1 comment: